Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sigh Gone

Saigon. 
   Saigon was definitely not a sigh of a city. The city surprised me in so many ways, not all good, but not all bad either. First off, I was surprised by how much quieter of a city it was. No crazed honkers were present, most of the time. I don't know if it was the big streets or the heat, but the city pace felt slower, less bee hive-ish. Yet, it wasn't dead either, it was the weird inbetween moment,  almost as if it was just emerging from a cocoon, freshly rejuvenated and updated and rearing to go.
    Secondly, I was surprised by the heat. I don't know why I was, but being dumb, I had only looked up the weather for Hanoi and as such had only brought 2 pairs of pants, sweatpants for sleeping, and a pair of running shorts. So, me being me, I just wore that one pair of shorts for basically a week and a half.
    Contrary to my above statements, here's the streets on New Year's Eve. All the motorbikes were at a standstill. Luckily they weren't honking.
In Saigon, even the type of tourists were different from Hanoi. In Hanoi, it was all about the hippie wanderer types, the scruffy drop outs, the liberals. In Saigon, there were two major categories. The newly empty nesting older couples with a bit more money and the backpacking party kids. Saigon is known as having one of the best club scenes in Southeast Asia, and you could tell. Kelly and I, while not saying we normally necessarily are looking good (well Kelly does), but we felt so underdressed compared to the other tourists. (Especially me in my little black Soffe shorts that were a bit wrinkly) 

We didn't spend a lot of time in the city, but it was fun wandering around drinking ice coffees, exploring palaces, and scarfing down Indian food. 

1 comment:

  1. haha i love that you felt like a superhero. i totally would too. epic.

    ReplyDelete