Thursday, October 14, 2010

I'm a registered alien!

First things first, I am officially a REGISTERED ALIEN. What up E.T.? On Wednesday morning I made my way to the Setagaya-fu Ward Office and picked up my alien registration card, I'm legal. After successfully navigating there, I decided to head in towards the Yamanote (the main train line). After buying some books at an English serving bookstore, I decided to head on over to Ueno Park to wander around for the rest of the afternoon. 
Very Kamakura-ish pond. 

It was so cute! You could rent out boats, and if you look at the boats in the back, they are swans! My other photos died because I was taking them while walking, so now they are blurry and were tossed, I'll try and be better about that in the future, but I really hate being super touristy...Anyways, the rest of the park is huge, with broad tree-lined streets, big pavilions, lots of Shinto shrines, a zoo, fountains, and huge museums. I didn't really do much of the above, I just took in the atmosphere of the park and the energy of the people in it. 

After wandering around for a bit, I decided to head over to Tokyo Daigaku, the most famous University in Japan. I had read that their campus wasn't that special, but I thought it was beautiful. They had a gorgeous pond in the middle (that picture didn't come out either...oopps) big tree lined streets, it was lovely. 

Here is another big building of their's. 

After that, I decided to walk towards a different train station to save just a tad bit of money and get some exercise in, on the way there, I stopped at a famous cemetery and wandered around there for a bit too. Cemeteries are such interesting concepts, I get why people like to be buried in them, a place for remembrance, for their legacy, and of course a place for their loved ones to mourn in a tangible location, but I still don't see the point. Cemeteries are beautiful, and I love visiting them, but I definitely don't want to be buried in one. 

Another Kamakura-ish thing, DAIBUTSU. as my host mom might say one day in the future, "sup?". 


2 comments:

  1. ahhhhh yes i totally feel you on the blurry pictures thing. i hate the feeling of stopping to take pictures like a big ol' tourist. even though, you know, i do it all the time anyway. :D

    ueno park looks so pretty! i am slightly tempted by the swan boat rides...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Registered Alien?

    I'm sure your adventures are going to be.... outta this world =D

    ReplyDelete