Friday, September 24, 2010

大仏-Big Buddha!!


Big Buddha Big Buddha Big Buddha. Big Buddha Number 1, Number 1 Big Buddha. (Set to the tune of Big Booty)


Yesterday we ventured out early for our day long adventure to Kamakura-a city by the sea, home to a shrine, and to the Daibutsu (Senor Buddhaman). Riding the train for over an hour to only find out there was a secret shortcut (only secret to gaijin like me) was an experience in itself. Upon our arrival we hit up the shrine where unfortunately my camera battery pooped out on me. The shrine itself was an amazing experience. Before entering the area, you have to cleanse yourself. You wash first your left hand, then your right, then your mouth, followed finally by the handle. After cleansing yourself, you can buy luck charms, check your fortune, explore the temple, and just appreciate the view. If you received a bad fortunae you would have to tie it to the sign, where after the day was over, the shrine would bury/burn the old fortunes to dispell the bad luck. After that, we explored kamakura during which I realized that I have a serious addiction to street food. Anyone from Venezuela can contest that I so so so badly always wanted to eat their street food, Date`s anyone? Unfortunately due to parasite precautions we weren`t supposed to eat street food, so I would also complain about how good it looked, so now being here in Tokyo, I`m taking full advantage.

Hitting up big Buddha was awesome. We all paid 10円 to go inside of Buddha. My only question is, if it`s good luck to touch Buddha`s belly, how lucky am I now that I`ve been inside his belly?? After fully accomplishing ridiculous pictures of me touching his head, and of ballerina poses, I convinced some people to go to the beach despite the weather. The entire time we`ve been here, it has been ridic hot, like sitting in a sauna hot, but yesterday, all of a sudden, the weather changed dramatically. It became a rain laden, windy ice cube that none of us were properly dressed before. Visiting the beach in ridiculous weather was hilarious. Everyone was in such good spirits and we all just really appreciated being in Japan. Peter and Matt raced, jumping pictures were taken, and I just ventured out into the water with my watershoes and just really enjoyed the moment.


Although tiring, yesterday`s adventure was probably my favorite as of yet being in Japan. Being with everyone from the group and all of our new Japanese friends was a great experience. I feel like I`ve known these people for ever, so being able to adventure with them, have ridiculous experiences, and just really appreciate being in Japan together is something that I`ll never forget.

Today was a bit less dramatic, whether that be good or bad. We had a 5 hour Japanese "survival" class today again. Although these classes are somewhat helpful, who actually wants to sit in class for that long? Luckily we have excursions, which normally involve food! Which knowing me, of course this one did. We had Indian food (cheese naan!) and then hit up a cafe later to get some ice cream float type tapioca parfait things. Delicioso. After class, we finally got out cell phones. Mine is pretty and green.

From now on, I'm gonna try and put more pictures in, but we'll see. So above here is my survival class with my professor. He was adorable!! I loved his little dances, his peeing どうも、his やきゅう、 and his impressions of Old ladies, dads, and otaku kids. Basically just him in general=epicness.
Here is my little baby phone! I have yet to name 'er/'im yet. I know y'all are waiting in suspense, so I'll try and get it done soon!


2 comments:

  1. Lucy,

    I am so very glad that you have this blog. I am the world' biggest self proclaimed stalker. STALKING YOU NOW!!!

    Love,
    anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. gurl please translate your japanese phrases so your monolingual friends can understand.

    je t'aime,
    emma

    ReplyDelete